April 27, 2020
The best way to keep yourself and your loved ones safe from the current COVID-19 pandemic is to practice regular handwashing and social distancing. As you make the necessary changes to your everyday life, are you taking extra steps to protect your oral health as well? While taking care of your teeth may not be the first thing on your mind, it’s more important than ever to keep up a thorough dental routine. In fact, now is the perfect time to boost your oral health and start using mouthwash regularly. Here’s what your Katy dentist wants you to know about oral hygiene and using mouthwash during COVID-19.
Oral Hygiene and COVID-19
While there is still much we don’t know about the current coronavirus pandemic, there is unfortunately no evidence that supports the idea that it can be prevented entirely with good oral hygiene alone. However, keeping your mouth clean and healthy may be able to lower your risk by:
- Improving your general hygiene: If you boost your at-home dental care routine with extra handwashing and disinfecting practices, you’ll help lower your chances of spreading germs.
- Positively influencing your overall health: Numerous studies show that maintaining good oral health is good for the rest of your body as well. When you thoroughly clean your mouth and prevent dental issues, your immune system can focus on fighting off more serious infections.
- Reducing your risk of a dental emergency: Keeping your smile healthy is your best defense against dental emergencies. Thankfully, most dentist are still treating those who need urgent dental care, but we should do everything we can to limit our trips outside until quarantine ends.
The Effectiveness of Mouthwash
Mouthwashes cannot kill the germs that cause COVID-19 or sufficiently disinfect surfaces, even if they contain some alcohol. However, the antiseptic properties of some oral rinses have been shown to kill 99% of the bacteria responsible for bad breath, plaque, and gingivitis. While oral rinses cannot completely dislodge particles like brushing and flossing can, their liquid nature allows them to reach hard-to-clean areas of your mouth. When used correctly, regularly using mouthwash can be a versatile tool in preventing an array of dental issues and protecting your oral health.
Benefits of Regularly Using Mouthwash
Cosmetic mouthwashes are only used to cover up the smell of bad breath. However, incorporating a therapeutic mouthwash into your dental routine can boost your oral health by:
- Strengthening enamel and treating sensitive teeth.
- Hindering the accumulation of plaque and tartar to reduce tooth decay.
- Eliminating bacteria and soothing symptoms of gingivitis and other small oral infections.
Now more than ever, it’s imperative that we do everything we can to stay healthy. Regularly using mouthwash alongside other important healthy habits is a great way to keep a clean, fresh, and germ-free smile throughout quarantine.
About the Practice
Katy Family Dentists has always been proud to help keep Katy, TX and the surrounding communities healthy with excellent oral health care. In response to the current COVID-19 pandemic, we are choosing to do our part to keep everyone safe by temporarily closing our practice. In the meantime, we will still be treating dental emergencies and encouraging all our patients to practice outstanding at-home oral hygiene. If you have questions about keeping yourself and your smile healthy during COVID-19, feel free to contact us via our website or at (281) 398-3432.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.